Time flies so quickly. I remember when we had intense discussions with a very large automotive customer whether they should use Oracle 18c, or rather wait for Oracle 19c. They went straight to Oracle 19c. But I know that many customers out there are still on Oracle 18c. So this date coming up in less than 3 weeks is very important for you. Bug Fixing Support for Oracle 18c ends June 30, 2021.
Oracle Database 18c
I quickly checked on my blog. On March 20, 2018 I wrote When will Oracle Database 18c be available on-prem? Just to announce on July 23, 2018, that Oracle 18c is now available for download on Linux. Oracle 18c on SPARC appeared a few days afterwards. Then it still took a while until you could download the other ports, such as Windows, and shortly afterwards AIX, HP-UX and zLinux.
It still took a little while until an End Date for the Support time frame for Oracle 18c appeared in MOS Note: 742060.1 and the Support Lifetime Policy brochure. But once it got added and communicated, it was clear and obvious:
- Bug Fixing Support for Oracle Database 18c will end on June 30, 2021
- Oracle Database 18c won’t offer any regular support extension via Extended Support
In addition to all this, please keep in mind that the final patch bundles for Oracle Database 18c were released in April 2021. There won’t be any patch bundles to download in July 2021 anymore for Oracle 18c.
What should you do now?
In case you are still on Oracle Database 18c, what should you do now?
Actually, the most important question why some customers still have 18c databases is simply bound to the requirement of having at least Oracle Linux 7 or RHEL 7 for Oracle 19c. So the move to Oracle 19c did require also an upgrade of the OS in some cases. Plus, on Engineered Systems the procedure needed to be in place at first.
Your next task should be then soon: Upgrade to Oracle Database 19c.
Oracle Database 19c is the Long Term Support release – and this is clearly the release you should upgrade to if you haven’t done already. See also: To which release you should upgrade to, revisited. Then start here and download the newest AutoUpgrade Utility.
In case you are not familiar with Database Upgrades yet, or you look for the tips and tricks and secrets, please watch our recorded Virtual Classroom Seminars. And access the slides by clicking on the picture next to each seminar.
Further Links and Information
- March 20, 2018: When will Oracle Database 18c be available on-prem
- July 23, 2018: Oracle 18c is now available for download on Linux
- August 3, 2018: Oracle 18c is avaialble on SPARC
- September 5, 2018: Oracle 18c is available on Windows
- November 19, 2018: Oracle 18c is avaiable on AIX, HP-UX and zLinux
- November 14, 2019: How long will Oracle 12.2 be supported?
- Support Lifetime Policy brochure
- MOS Note: 742060.1 (Release Schedule of Current Database Releases)
- Oracle 19c requires OL7, RHEL7 or SLES12
- Exadata Upgrade to OL7 and Oracle 19c
- Long Term Support release vs Innovation release
- Oracle Database 19c Premier Support extended by more than 1 year
- To which release you should upgrade to, revisited
- Download the newest AutoUpgrade Utility
- Recorded Virtual Classroom Seminars