With Oracle Database 19c being available on Exadata now, and most likely soon on-prem as well, there’s a significant change you should be aware of when using image processing features inside the database: Oracle Multimedia will be removed in Oracle Database 19c.
Oracle Multimedia will be removed in Oracle Database 19c
When you upgrade or migrate your database to Oracle 19c, then Oracle Multimedia APIs will be still exist but won’t function anymore.
Desupport of Oracle Multemedia
Oracle Multimedia is desupported in Oracle Database 19c, and the implementation is removed.
As an alternative for image processing and conversion, Oracle recommends that you store multimedia content in SecureFiles LOBs, and use third party products, such as Piction. The
ORDIM component remains in the registry and still has a
VALID status. Oracle Multimedia objects and packages remain in the database. However, these objects and packages no longer function, and raise exceptions if there is an attempt made to use them. Oracle Locator is not affected by the desupport of Oracle Multimedia.
In case you use the Oracle Locator: It is not affected by the desupport of Oracle Multimedia and will function as before.
- Oracle Database 19c Upgrade Guide – Multimedia Desupport
- Oracle Database 19c Administrator Guide – Multimedia Desupport
- What does Depreacted mean? What does Desupported mean?
- Oracle Multimedia (ORDIM) clean up – removal
- MOS Note: 2347372.1 – Oracle Multimedia Statement of Direction
- MOS Note: 2375644.1 – How To Migrate Data From Oracle Multimedia Data Types to BLOB columns