This question came up several times in the past days: Does OJVM patching require a specific Database Release Update? People mentioned that there’s a significant difference between the OJVM Patch Readme between Oracle 12.2.01 and Oracle 18.4.0.
What’s the point?
In the OJVM (Oracle Java Virtual Machine) Patch Readme for Oracle Database 22.214.171.124 a sentence clarified that you can combine different states of OJVM and Database patch bundle with each other. Your database home could have been patched with the April 2018 Update, whereas you decided to apply the October 2018 OJVM patch.
- Ensure that the Oracle Database on which you are installing the patch or from which you are rolling back the patch is Oracle Database 12c Release 2 (126.96.36.199.0).
Hence, you have the full freedom to have whatever combination of database and OJVM patches as long as they are all for Oracle 188.8.131.52.
But the Readme OJVM Patch Oracle 18.4.0 – Oct 2018 had a different and more precise wording:
- Ensure that the Oracle Database on which you are installing the patch or from which you are rolling back the patch is Oracle Database Release 18c, Version 184.108.40.206.0.
Precise isn’t always better as this would have meant for you: No freedom anymore,
But no worries …
Of course not – readmes get written by humans, and not by autonomous bots. And therefore there will be a correction in the readme soon changing it to:
- Ensure that the Oracle Database on which you are installing the patch or from which you are rolling back the patch is Oracle Database Release 18c.
Then it will be correct again. Full freedom if you need that.
More information and links
- MOS Note: 2118136.2 – Assistant: Download Reference for Oracle Database/GI Update, Revision, PSU, SPU(CPU), Bundle Patches, Patchsets and Base Releases
- Readme OJVM Patch Oracle 220.127.116.11 – Oct 2018
- Readme OJVM Patch Oracle 18.4.0 – Oct 2018
- Are OJVM patches included in the Oracle 12.2 RU / RUR? (Oct 20, 2017)
- The OJVM Patching Saga – and how to solve it – Part V (Feb 16, 2017)