I thought I had blogged about this topic already. But it seems to be that I stored this information somewhere else. Randomly I receive this question: Oracle Transportable Tablespaces – Does it work between SE2 and EE?
In addition often the question gets precised: Does it work in both directions or just one-way?
Transportable Tablespaces and Full Transportable Export/Import
Please find more information about these two very common Oracle database migration features:
- Transportable Tablespases: Character Sets – Same same but different? (May 25, 2016)
- Transportable Tablespaces and Read-Only in Oracle 12c (Dec 2, 2016)
- Full Transportable Export/Import – Things to Know (Jul 4, 2016)
- Full Transportable Export/Import – Migration to the Oracle Cloud with Video (Jun 4, 2016)
- Full Transportable Export/Import – PAR File Examples (Nov 3, 2016)
- Data Pump: Exclude Stats differently for TTS and FTEX (Apr 20, 2016)
- OOW 2017: Migrate Databases >100TB in less than one day (Oct 4, 2017)
And can you move between Standard Edition (SE, SE1, SE2) and Enterprise Edition (EE)?
Transportable Tablespaces – Does it work between SE2 and EE?
TTS does work between SE or SE2 and EE – but only in one direction. The Oracle License Guide contains the important information:
Finally yes, you can transport tablespaces from Enterprise Edition (EE) into Standard Edition (SE and SE2) databases. But you can’t transport from SE or SE2 into an EE database as the transport packages to export the tablespace(s) aren’t present in SE and SE2.
PS: Thanks to Franck Pachot – I mixed the SE/EE in the last paragraph – the feature to export tablespace metadata is present in EE but not in SE/SE2. Therefore you can only UNPLUG from an EE database.
Thanks for the information . Does TTS work between Standard edition to Standard Edition ? We need to migrate from Solaris Sparc to Linux X86-64 . Both source and Target are standard editions.
no, it doesn’t.