The first RU (Release Update) for Oracle Database 188.8.131.52 has been released. And Oracle Support provides some very helpful documents to explain the implication of the new RU (Release Update) and RUR (Release Update Revision) patches.
More Information about RU and RUR patches for Oracle 12.2
First of all, these are the most important MOS notes to have a look at:
- MOS Note:742060.1 – Release Schedule for Current Database Releases (updated Aug 3, 2017 )
- MOS Note: 2285040.1 – Release Update and Release Update Revisions for Database Proactive Patch Program
- MOS Note: 2275525.1 – FAQ for RU and RUR (not public yet)
What does MOS Note: 2285040.1 cover?
This note gives you an overview about the new RU (Release Update) and RUR (Release Update Revision) patches.
A few important things upfront:
- For Oracle Database 184.108.40.206 there’s no change in release numbering
- No RUs and RURs for Oracle Database 220.127.116.11 and Oracle Database 18.104.22.168 but still – as before – SPUs, PSUs and BPs
- RU patches right now are more or less the same as Proactive Bundle Patches (BPs)
- RUR patches right now are more or less the same as Patch Set Updates (PSUs)
- Quarterly schedules stay as before
- Interim (one-off) patches still exist
- In July 2017 we are releasing a Database RU, a Grid Infrastructure RU, and an OJVM RU.
- There are no PSUs or Bundle Patches for the 22.214.171.124 release
- The first RUR for Oracle Database 126.96.36.199 is planned for October 2017
- In October 2017 at the usual quarterly release date the 2nd RU for Oracle Database 188.8.131.52 is planned to get released
- In January 2018 at the usual quarterly release date the 3rd RU and the 2nd RUR should be released for Oracle Database 184.108.40.206.
- The plan is to release only two RURs per RU