Oracle VirtualBox 5.0.x – Segmentation Fault in PERL

Please see as well:

VBox 5.0.10 crash issues with our Hands-On-Lab

Yesterday and the day before I’ve exchanged several emails with Ana who downloaded our Hands-On-Lab from here:

after OOW15, encountering a SEGMENTATION FAULT when trying to start the database upgrade with catctl.pl:

$ $ORACLE_HOME/perl/bin/perl catctl.pl catupgrd.sql

Segmentation fault

Very strange thing …

The database is in upgrade mode (checked this in the alert.log) and there are no strange things mentioned anywhere. Plus hundreds of people have run and completed our lab so far.

Tue Nov 10 20:39:47 2015
MMON started with pid=21, OS id=9828
Starting background process MMNL
Tue Nov 10 20:39:47 2015
MMNL started with pid=22, OS id=9832
Stopping Emon pool
Tue Nov 10 20:39:47 2015
ALTER SYSTEM enable restricted session;
Tue Nov 10 20:39:47 2015
ALTER SYSTEM SET _system_trig_enabled=FALSE
SCOPE=MEMORY;
Autotune of undo retention is turned off.
Tue Nov 10 20:39:47 2015
Tue Nov 10 20:39:47 2015
ALTER SYSTEM SET recyclebin='OFF' DEFERRED
SCOPE=MEMORY;
Resource Manager disabled during database
migration
replication_dependency_tracking turned off (no
async multimaster replication found)
AQ Processes can not start in restrict mode
Starting background process CJQ0
Tue Nov 10 20:39:47 2015
CJQ0 started with pid=27, OS id=9836
Completed: ALTER DATABASE OPEN MIGRATE

We checked several other things – and then I came across this tweet by Martin Klier yesterday:

and started to search a bit.

I have no 100% proof for the actual reason but several people seem to have issues with SEGMENTATION FAULTs in Oracle’s PERL ($ORACLE_HOME/perl/bin/perl) when using Oracle VirtualBox 5.0.x – and according to VitualBox Forum that seems to happen with the most recent VBox 5.0.10 as well.

The “funny” thing is that all works perfectly well in VBox 4.3.x

It reminds me a lot on the reoccuring VBox bug with my German keyboard not allowing me to type in the | (pipe) character which requires to press “ALT GR” +  “<” keys together.

–Mike

6 thoughts on “Oracle VirtualBox 5.0.x – Segmentation Fault in PERL

1. Thanks for all your comments and the workaround hints.

What really bugs me here:
    I didn’t create a new VBox image. Ours is several months old and got used by thousands of people.

Why the heck is a new version of VBox (5.x) causing PERL to segfault?

Cheers
    Mike

2. Mike,

In my case, I didn’t have the problem on VBox running on Windows but only on my mac.
    One of the guy who commented my blogpost, said he workarounded the problem by changing the paravirtualization interface.
    So, It might be related to the hypervisor only in mac.

If you are using a standalone server and you don’t use containers, or oracle perl scripts (catctl.pl etc.) … the problem will never occur. (I remembered I asked to people and they never faced the problem because of that).

3. Pingback: VBox 5.0.10 crash issues with our Hands-On-Lab | Upgrade your Database - NOW!