First of all, Oracle Restart is deprecated in Oracle Database 12c. Deprecation means the product is still supported, you can open SRs, you’ll get bug fixes – but we won’t do further development of the product or feature.
- See MOS Note 1584742.1 Support Impact of the Deprecation Announcement of Oracle Restart with Oracle Database 12c
for a clear description what “Deprecation” means in relation to Oracle Restart!
But a customer (Thanks to Jaco de Graaf for bringing this to my attention!) had a question via the blog about the best approach to upgrade his Oracle Restart configuration from Oracle 184.108.40.206 to Oracle 220.127.116.11 – and apply the October PSU as well.
What is Oracle Restart?
Please find an overview here in the doc. .
How to upgrade your Oracle Restart configuration?
The standard way is simple: Choose “Upgrade” in the starting page of the Grid Infrastructure’s OUI screen.
You won’t see anything saying “Upgrade Stand Alone Installation” or “Upgrade Oracle Restart” – but the general “Upgrade …” option will cover this topic as well.
Upgrade Oracle Restart and include a PSU (Patch Set Update)?
This is a bit more tricky and as far as I see not documented entirely. But Jaco did open an SR and Support could help.
- Install 12.1 GI ‘software only’
- Patch that software set to the latest PSU (using: opatch apply ….-local)
- Remove the Oracle Restart configuration (using the ‘old’ 11.2 GRID_HOME)
Please find a description on the excellent blog of my support colleague, Helmut Hutzler:
or in MOS Note:986740.1
It is important to mention that you need to use the ‘old’ GI Home to remove the Restart configuration – the MOS Note doesn’t say this explicitlely.
- Reconfigure the Oracle Restart configuration (using the ‘new’ 12.1 GRID_HOME)
- Add all required items back to the Oracle Restart stack (ASM, Listener, databases).
Steps 3, 4, and 5 will require a bit of downtime..
MOS Note 1584742.1: Support Impact of the Deprecation Announcement of Oracle Restart with Oracle Database 12c on Feb 22, 2015
MOS Note 1410202.1:How to Apply a Grid Infrastructure Patch Before root script (root.sh or
rootupgrade.sh) is Executed? on Feb 8, 2017