We are running a great training this week in Munich, called TECH CHALLENGE for Oracle people only. And one group hit the below issue so I thought I should share this as it is very likely it will happen with the upgrade to Oracle Database 12c in your environment as well.
During the run of catctl.pl or DBUA you may get an error saying:
ORA-20000: Unable to gather statistics concurrently:
Resource Manager is not enabled.
ORA-06512: at “SYS.DBMS_STATS”
Even worse, the upgrade will fail and exit in phase 68 of the parallel upgrade.
This issue is new with Oracle Database 184.108.40.206 and is logged as bug19664340
Reason why this happens:
It seems to be “somebody” has switched statistics gathering with Oracle Database 220.127.116.11 to CONCURRENT.
- SQL> exec dbms_stats.set_global_prefs(‘CONCURRENT’, ‘FALSE’);
- Reset it after upgrade with
SQL> exec dbms_stats.set_global_prefs(‘CONCURRENT’, ‘TRUE’);
- Enter SQL*Plus in your 12c environment [even if you had used the DBUA]
- Restart your database in upgrade mode
SQL> startup upgrade
- cd to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin
- $ORACLE_HOME/perl/bin/perl catctl.pl -l /home/oracle/upgrade -p 68 catupgrd.sql
The “-p” option will restart the parallel upgrade now at phase 68.
Since Feb 23, 2015, there’s a generic one off patch available on top of Oracle 18.104.22.168.
And please see also the COMMENT section with the comments by Arun Gupta – thanks a lot, Arun!